Connect with us

Sports

David de Gea announces Manchester United exit after 12 years

Published

on

David de Gea announces Manchester United exit after 12 years

David de Gea has confirmed his departure from Manchester United following a 12-year tenure at the club.

The 32-year-old custodian joined the Premier League side in 2011 and was their first choice for almost a decade.

De Gea became a free agent on July 1 after failing to reach an agreement to extend his contract before it expired.

Negotiations for a new contract have proceeded, but the Spaniard has finally announced his departure.

He took to social media to say: “I just wanted to send this farewell message to all Manchester United supporters.


“I would like to express my unwavering gratitude and appreciation for the love from the last 12 years. We’ve achieved a lot since my dear Sir Alex Ferguson brought me to this club. I took incredible pride everytime I pulled on this shirt, to lead the team, to represent this institution, the biggest club in the world was an honour only bestows upon a few lucky footballers.

“It’s been an unforgettable and successful period since I came here. I didn’t think from leaving Madrid as a young boy we would achieve what we did together.

“Now, it’s the right time to undertake a new challenge, to push myself again in new surroundings.

“Manchester will always be in my heart, Manchester has shaped me and will never leave me.

“We’ve seen it all.”

Man United also made the announcement via their official channels, praising De Gea as a legend.

During his stint at the club, he made over 500 appearances and won the Premier League, FA Cup, two League Cups, three Community Shields, and the UEFA Europa League.

“It takes great quality and character to even play one game for Manchester United,” remarked manager Erik ten Hag. It takes a rare accomplishment to do it 545 times in 12 years, especially in the goalkeeping position, when every game puts you in the limelight.

“To have won Player of the Year awards from both the fans and his team-mates, each on four occasions, shows the level of his performance and he will always be remembered as one of the very best goalkeepers in the history of the club.

“I am personally grateful for the 25 clean sheets he helped provide last season and his overall contribution on the pitch during my first year at the club. All the players and staff send him our very best wishes for the next phase of his outstanding career.”

According to talkSPORT, the Red Devils are in early negotiations with Inter Milan about signing goalie Andre Onana.

United has had two proposals rejected, but is convinced that a £45 million package will close the transaction.

Onana is rumoured to be interested in a move to Old Trafford, and De Gea’s departure means a deal is on the cards.

Source: talksports.com

Continue Reading

Sports

Harry Maguire accepts Isaac Adongo’s apologies

Published

on

By

Mr Adongo, however, apologised to Maguire in Parliament on Tuesday, saying the Manchester United defender now performed better for his club than Dr Bawumia, whom he said had repeatedly supervised the country's economic incompetence and had subsequently gone to the (IMF) for a bailout.

Harry Maguire, a Manchester United defender, has accepted Hon. Isaac Adongo’s apologies for dragging him through the dirt.

The Ghanaian politician previously rated the former Leicester City captain as the worst player recruited by the Red Devils.

Adongo was discussing the budget when he likened Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia’s economic management to Maguire’s on-field performances.

Mr Adongo, however, apologised to Maguire in Parliament on Tuesday, saying the Manchester United defender now performed better for his club than Dr Bawumia, whom he said had repeatedly supervised the country’s economic incompetence and had subsequently gone to the (IMF) for a bailout.

“I was very quick to compare my big brother Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia to Harry Maguire. Mr. Speaker, I now apologize to Harry Maguire…Today Maguire has turned the corner; he is a transformational footballer. Maguire is now scoring goals for Manchester United.”

“Mr Speaker, Harry Maguire is now a key player for Manchester United. As for our Maguire, he is now roaming at the IMF with a cup in hand,” he stated.

Following the apology, Maguire stated on social media, “MP Issac Adongo apology accepted.” “Hope to see you at Old Trafford soon.”

Meanwhile, Everton will play Manchester United in the Premier League on Sunday at Goodison Park.

Continue Reading

Sports

Argentina’s World Cup-winning coach, Lionel Scaloni, has hinted that he may resign

Published

on

By

Messi on fan-police clashes: "There could have been a tragedy." After a brief stint in command of Argentina's under-20 team, Scaloni took over as manager in August 2018. Argentina's 2021 Copa America victory was their first major championship in 28 years, and it qualified them for the Finalissima against European champions Italy in June 2022, which they won 3-0 at Wembley. Later that year, they won their third World Cup in Qatar, and first since 1986.

Argentina’s World Cup-winning coach, Lionel Scaloni, has indicated that he is considering stepping down after five years in charge.

Scaloni made the stunning statement following Argentina’s 1-0 World Cup qualifying win against Brazil on Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro.

Before winning the World Cup in Qatar last year, the 45-year-old guided Argentina to the Copa America in 2021.

“Argentina needs a coach who has all the energy possible and who is well,” said Scaloni.

“I need to stop the ball and start thinking, I have a lot of things to think about during this time.

“It’s not goodbye or anything, but I need to think because the bar is very high and it’s complicated to keep going and it’s complicated to keep winning.

“These guys are making it difficult, so I need to think about it for a while. I will talk to the FA president and the players afterwards.”

Messi on fan-police clashes: “There could have been a tragedy.”

After a brief stint in command of Argentina’s under-20 team, Scaloni took over as manager in August 2018.

Argentina’s 2021 Copa America victory was their first major championship in 28 years, and it qualified them for the Finalissima against European champions Italy in June 2022, which they won 3-0 at Wembley.

Later that year, they won their third World Cup in Qatar, and first since 1986.

“We are sure and hope that Scaloni will continue,” said Argentina and Tottenham defender Cristian Romero.

“Let’s see now he will have time to think, he didn’t say anything in the dressing room about it. We will try to convince him.”

Argentina’s victory against Brazil on Tuesday was their first-ever away win over their rivals in World Cup qualification, and it took them two points clear at the top of the table.

The game at Rio’s Maracana stadium was delayed for 30 minutes due to a scuffle during the national anthems.

Continue Reading

Sports

2026WCQ: Chris Hughton under pressure after Black Stars defeat in Comoros

Published

on

By

Ghana could have grabbed an early lead in Tuesday's encounter when Inaki Williams set up Antoine Semenyo for a goal, but the Bournemouth striker hit the crossbar.

Chris Hughton’s Black Stars suffered their first competitive loss as head coach, falling 1-0 to Comoros in the 2026 World Cup Qualifiers.

Myziane Maolida’s first-half goal was enough to give the hosts their second straight victory over the Black Stars.

Ghana is now in fourth position, three points behind early group leaders Comoros, who have won both of their initial qualification games.

Following a tense, late win against Madagascar at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi last Friday, there was some hope that the Black Stars may capitalise on Mali’s slip-up against the Central African Republic to grab the group lead.

Ghana could have grabbed an early lead in Tuesday’s encounter when Inaki Williams set up Antoine Semenyo for a goal, but the Bournemouth striker hit the crossbar.

Continue Reading

Trending