Connect with us

Sports

Manchester United has confirmed the signing of Andre Onana

Published

on

Manchester United has confirmed the signing of Andre Onana

Andre Onana has finalised his transfer from Inter Milan to Manchester United following satisfactory discussions between the clubs.

The Cameroonian shot-stopper was announced by the club on Thursday after a transaction for €51 million (£43.8 million) was completed, with €4 million (£3.4 million) in potential add-ons.

The 27-year-old signed a five-year contract with an option to extend for another year, succeeding David De Gea, who left the club following a 12-year stint.

The former Inter Milan custodian has reconnected with his old coach Erik Ten Hag, with whom he previously worked at Ajax Amsterdam, and hopes to begin a fresh chapter with the Dutchman for the second time.

“To join Manchester United is an incredible honour and I have worked hard all my life to get to this moment, overcoming many obstacles along the way,” Onana said.

“Walking out at Old Trafford to defend our goal and contribute to the team will be another amazing experience. This is the start of a new journey for me, with new teammates, and new ambitions to fight for.

Onana has left the former Serie A winners after only one season. Last season, the outstanding custodian appeared 41 times for the Nerazzurri in all competitions, including a 1-0 loss to Manchester City in the Champions League final. Onana, on the other hand, played excellently in goal and showcased his excellent distributing abilities.

He will join the squad for their pre-season tour in the United States, where they will face Arsenal, Wrexham, Real Madrid, and Borussia Dortmund before the start of the new season.

Continue Reading

Sports

Maybe he wants an autograph – Asamoah Gyan hits back at NDC MP

Published

on

By

Speaking to Radio XYZ, Mr. Dafeamekpor said that the former Black Stars captain was a longtime follower of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) who did not desire glory for their opponents. In reaction, Asamoah Gyan stated that the NDC MP is only seeking attention for his autograph. "Perhaps he wants an autograph. Do not worry. "I will sign one for him soon," the former Sunderland attacker joked on X (previously Twitter).

Asamoah Gyan, former Black Stars captain, has replied to charges made by Member of Parliament for South Dayi, Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor, that he purposely missed a penalty during the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

He claimed that Gyan’s vital miss in the quarter-final match against Uruguay, which would have made Ghana the first African team to reach the World Cup semi-finals, was politically motivated.

Speaking to Radio XYZ, Mr Dafeamekpor said that the former Black Stars captain was a longtime follower of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) who did not desire glory for their opponents.

In reaction, Asamoah Gyan stated that the NDC MP is only seeking attention for his autograph.

“Maybe he wants an autograph. Do not worry. “I will sign one for him soon,” the former Sunderland attacker joked on X (previously Twitter).

The former Black Stars captain has faced a storm of criticism after being selected to the NPP manifesto committee.

The 38-year-old will lead the party’s Youth and Sports subcommittee, reporting to Vice President and NPP flagbearer Dr Bawumia.

Despite the attacks, Asamoah Gyan says he is motivated and ready to give his share to country building.

As Africa’s leading World Cup scorer with six goals, he is determined to use his knowledge to restore Ghanaian football.

Continue Reading

Sports

Jose Peseiro has resigned as Nigeria’s head coach

Published

on

By

He agreed to an extension till the end of the tournament after lowering his compensation from $70,000 to $50,000. Despite guiding Nigeria to the AFCON final, which they lost 2-1 to host country Ivory Coast, both sides chose to separate ways. Peseiro congratulated the NFF and those who helped make his term unforgettable, including Sir Amaju Pinnick, President Ibrahim Gusau, General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi, Secretary Dayo Enebi, and all of the staff and players.

José Peseiro, the head coach of Nigeria’s national side, the Super Eagles, has stepped down after his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation expired.

In a statement posted on X, the Portuguese coach acknowledged his thanks for the chance, saying, “We completed our deal with the NFF yesterday. It was an honour and privilege to coach the Super Eagles. It’s been 22 months of incredible devotion, sacrifice, emotion, and enthusiasm. We feel fulfilled.”

Peseiro’s original contract with the NFF expired shortly before the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Ivory Coast.

He agreed to an extension till the end of the tournament after lowering his compensation from $70,000 to $50,000.

Despite guiding Nigeria to the AFCON final, which they lost 2-1 to host country Ivory Coast, both sides chose to separate ways.

Peseiro congratulated the NFF and those who helped make his term unforgettable, including Sir Amaju Pinnick, President Ibrahim Gusau, General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi, Secretary Dayo Enebi, and all of the staff and players.

“We would like to express our gratitude to Sir Amaju Pinnick (the president who signed us), President Ibrahim Gusau, General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi, Secretary Dayo Enebi, the NFF, all the Staff, and especially all the PLAYERS, with whom leading has been a great pleasure.

“Guys, we are thankful; it has been a privilege to be part of this family. We will miss you, but we will always be there for you, no matter where you are. A big hug to all of you.”

Continue Reading

Sports

NDC MP claims Asamoah Gyan deliberately missed 2010 World Cup penalty

Published

on

By

Mr. Dafeamekpor, a member of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), indicated that Gyan's alleged purposeful miss was motivated by his political affiliation with the New Patriotic Party. Speaking to Radio XYZ, Dafeamekpor stated, "I feel Asamoah Gyan purposefully wasted that penalty since it was during the NDC's regime. It is now evident to me that he missed the penalty in the 2010 World Cup and the African Cup on purpose so that the NDC administration would not earn recognition."

Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor, a Member of Parliament for South Dayi, has accused Asamoah Gyan of purposefully missing a critical penalty in the 2010 World Cup quarterfinal against Uruguay.

The Black Stars had a chance to move to the semi-finals in their second World Cup participation, with the score locked at 1-1.

However, Gyan’s penalty hit the crossbar, resulting in Ghana’s defeat in the subsequent penalty shootout.

Mr Dafeamekpor, a member of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), indicated that Gyan’s alleged purposeful miss was motivated by his political affiliation with the New Patriotic Party.

Speaking to Radio XYZ, Dafeamekpor stated, “I feel Asamoah Gyan purposefully wasted that penalty since it was during the NDC’s regime. It is now evident to me that he missed the penalty in the 2010 World Cup and the African Cup on purpose so that the NDC administration would not earn recognition.”

He went on to say, “Asamoah Gyan has joined the Bawumia campaign team. That’s an important problem because when a public figure turns politicised, I can confidently claim it was for political reasons that he missed the penalty, guaranteeing the NDC administration did not earn credit. It’s very disturbing.”

Mr. Dafeamekpor’s statements come after Gyan was recently selected to the New Patriotic Party’s 2024 manifesto committee.

These statements have reinforced continued allegations of Gyan’s impartiality since joining Dr Bawumia’s campaign team.

Despite the controversy, Gyan has an amazing record, including being Africa’s all-time highest scorer at the World Cup with six goals and the Black Stars’ all-time leading scorer with 51.

Continue Reading

Trending

Optimized by Optimole