Connect with us

Politics

Akufo-Addo has already exonerated Cecilia Dapaah – Mary Addah

Published

on

Akufo-Addo has already exonerated Cecilia Dapaah - Mary Addah

Mary Awelana Addah, interim Executive Director of the Ghana Integrity Initiative (GII), believes that President Nana Akufo-Addo has exonerated former Sanitation Minister Cecilia Dapaah of any misconduct.

Madam Addah has stated that she wants the President to redeem himself by taking a tough stance against the former Minister for allegedly stashing large quantities of money at her home.

She added on Adom FM’s Dwaso Nsem that President Akufo-Addo blew a chance to shed the “clearing agent” label that has been affixed to him because people believe he simply clears his appointees of any wrongdoing whenever they are accused of indulging in corrupt practices.

The Executive Director’s remark came in response to the President’s acceptance letter for the resignation of the troubled former Minister.

Madam Dapaah has made headlines around the country after it was revealed that she is in court with her two housemaids, whom she accuses of stealing various sums of money.

She thanked President Nana Akufo-Addo for the opportunity to serve in a letter dated July 22, 2023, saying it was an honour as she presented her resignation.

Prior to resigning, she stated that reports about the stolen monies and the pending trial featured “noticeable inconsistencies.”

The President stated in a letter accepting the Minister’s resignation, “I am confident, like you, that at the end of the day, your integrity, while in office, will be fully established.” I wish you the best of luck in all your pursuits.”

Many have questioned if the President’s remark on the Minister’s integrity was meant to defend her actions amid charges of suspected malfeasance, or whether it was merely a parting shot after her years of public service.

Madam Addah’s comment in the President’s letter was needless, and if it had been avoided, it would have been wonderful.

She underlined that it validates public view.

Continue Reading

Politics

OccupyJulorBiHouse: Organisers’ derogatory depiction of the presidency is reprehensible – Richard Ahiagbah

Published

on

By

According to Democracy Hub, the rally was held to stress their demands for lower living costs, an end to corruption, and improved governance, among other things. However, in the early hours of Thursday, September 21, police detained 49 protestors, accusing them of unlawful assembly and violating the Public Order Act. The detained individuals ignored court documents filed on the organisers, Democracy Hub, to prevent from carrying out the scheduled rally.

The New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) Communications Director, Richard Ahiagbah, has voiced his concern with the disrespectful captioning of the Jubilee House by leaders of the pressure organisation, Democracy Hub.

The organisers of the scuttled demonstration in Accra on Thursday, Democracy Hub, had dubbed the protest to occupy the precincts of the seat of government, Jubilee House, #OccupyJulorBiHouse, with ‘julorbi’ being a parody of the official name of the presidency in the Ga language, which loosely translates as ‘the child of a thief’.

Mr Ahiagbah, who backed citizens’ freedom to demonstrate, disagreed with the disparaging portrayal of the presidency.

“I don’t agree with the derogatory caption of the Presidency by the organizers of the demonstration, but impeding their right to peaceful assembly is an affront to democracy, plain and simple.”

The NPP Communications Director pointed out that there have been numerous peaceful demonstrations during President Akufo-Addo’s presidency, including the Arise Ghana demo and the Kume Preko demo, which he said did not record such events as happened on Thursday, and wondered why anyone would think the government was behind the disruption of Thursday’s demonstration.

“This is not the publicity we need on a day such as this…Allow!,” he said, in apparent condemnation of the police action.

He highlighted that the Ghana Police Service’s meddling and arrest of demonstrators who took part in the #OccupyJulorBiHouse movement is a violation of the people’s rights.

Mr Ahiagbah stressed in a post on Thursday, September 21, that “the people’s ability to engage in peaceful demonstrations is an inherent democratic right.”

Any action that prevents persons from enjoying this basic freedom, in his opinion, is just wrong.

According to Democracy Hub, the rally was held to stress their demands for lower living costs, an end to corruption, and improved governance, among other things.

However, in the early hours of Thursday, September 21, police detained 49 protestors, accusing them of unlawful assembly and violating the Public Order Act.

The detained individuals ignored court documents filed on the organisers, Democracy Hub, to prevent them from carrying out the scheduled rally.

Continue Reading

Politics

OccupyJulorBiHouse: Arresting protesters was unwarranted – Naana Opoku-Agyemang

Published

on

By

Several demonstrators were detained and escorted to the Regional Police Headquarters, including Fix The Country chairman Oliver Barker Vormawor. They were detained in the early hours of September 21 for violating a police order prohibiting the march.

Prof Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang, the National Democratic Congress (NDC)’s 2020 running mate, has responded to the arrest of #OccupyJulorBiHouse activists.

It is undemocratic and useless, she claims.

The former Education Minister stated on Twitter that the police should have engaged the demonstrators rather than arrest them.

As a result, she has supported demands for the demonstrators to be arrested immediately.

https://x.com/NJOAgyemang/status/1704832264251601273?s=20

Several demonstrators were detained and escorted to the Regional Police Headquarters, including Fix The Country chairman Oliver Barker Vormawor.

They were detained in the early hours of September 21 for violating a police order prohibiting the march.

Continue Reading

Politics

Military takeovers are not a solution to Africa’s economic issues – Asantehene

Published

on

By

Several African nations, including Niger and Gabon, have undergone coups in recent years. The most recent event happened in Gabon on August 30, when military soldiers took control and proclaimed the annulment of election results that had pronounced President Ali Bongo the winner. The announcement of the Electoral Commission generated suspicions of fraud by the opposition.

The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, has voiced grave worry over the growing number of coups on the African continent.

He links these military takeovers to nations’ difficult economic situations, which resulted in the deposition of democratically elected governments.

Otumfuo Osei Tutu II spoke out strongly against military coups as a solution to Africa’s issues during the St. Andrews Africa Summit in Scotland.

He emphasised that, regardless of the circumstances, armed takeovers are not the solution.

“Let me make it categorically clear that regardless of the circumstances, I do not think that a military takeover offers the solution to the problems of our continent. There was a time when circumstances produced the notion that the gun was the solution, those times are over. We are in completely different circumstances now. The critical problems confronting Africans’ economy from North to South, East to West, the burden is the economy,” the Asantehene said.

Several African nations, including Niger and Gabon, have undergone coups in recent years.

The most recent event happened in Gabon on August 30, when military soldiers took control and proclaimed the annulment of election results that had pronounced President Ali Bongo the winner.

The announcement of the Electoral Commission generated suspicions of fraud by the opposition.

Continue Reading

Trending