Connect with us

General News

Commey splits points with Pedraza

Published

on

FB IMG 1661777382263

At the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino at Tulsa, OKlahoma, in the United States last Saturday, Ghana’s Richard Oblitey Commey fought hard for a draw against a former IBF Super Featherweight and WBO Lightweight world champion, Jose “Sniper” Pedraza, in a 10-round super lightweight match.

It was the main event of the Top Ranked promoted bout which saw the Ghanaian fighting at the super-lightweight division for the first time since a disastrous loss to the Ukrainian, Vasyl Lomachenko, in the United States in December last year.

In the first round Commey dominated for the most part in the first two minutes with an effective jab, pressing forward against Pedraza who finished better in the last minute of the round. In the second round Commey came out firing, hurting Pedraza a minute into the round with rights on the chin. Pedraza resorted to southpaw in a bid to slow down the offensive attack of Commey.

In the third round Pedraza came off the ropes, getting the better of the two. Seconds later it was Commey landing a right on the chin which got Pedraza’s attention. In the final minute Commey drew blood from the nose of Pedraza and caused a swelling under his left eye. In the fourth round Commey continued dominating the fight, having Pedraza on the defence and still fighting in a southpaw mode.

In the fifth round Commey continued by landing shots on Pedraza’s body which made him back off, with little offence in return.
With both fighters coming off losses it seems Commey was determined to win the fight. In the sixth round a clash of heads caused a cut on the left eye of Commey though the commission at ringside claimed he was cut before the clash of heads after viewing the round. That seemed to spur Pedraza on as Commey kept wiping the blood in order to prevent it from entering his eye.

In the seventh round, Pedraza was having his best round with rights to the body of Commey who still seemed tentative due to the cut. In the eighth round Pedraza continued going to the body, backing up Commey.

In the ninth round halfway point Pedraza hurt Commey with a flurry of punches, especially left uppercuts to the body of Commey. By the end of the round Commey seemed exhausted. In the tenth and final round Pedraza continued landing blows on the body of Commey until the final thirty seconds when Commey landed rights to the chin of Pedraza. The referee was Gerald Ritter.

Scores were 97-93 Pedraza, 96-94 Commey and 95-95 a draw.

Source:Graphic Online

Continue Reading

General News

9 killed, several others injured in an accident at Ho

Published

on

By

Officials at the Ho Teaching Hospital said that 32 people were admitted for injuries incurred, with 9 dying as a result of their injuries. Amos Jah, the Public Relations Officer of Ho Teaching Hospital, said that the injured patients are receiving medical attention and making progress in their rehabilitation.

A terrible accident occurred at the base of Galenkui Mountain in Ho, claiming the lives of nine people, including babies.

The terrifying occurrence occurred as a 207 Benz was transporting goods and passengers from Abotoase to Sogakofe.

The car encountered brake failure while descending the mountain, culminating in a collision with a Zoomlion garbage truck.

Initial reports verified seven fatalities at the disaster scene, including newborns and children.

Following that, Mary Dzifa, a nurse at Ho Municipal Hospital, informed Citi News that roughly ten children had died in the disaster.

“I was at our facility yesterday, November 22, when a car rushed in with dead and injured children and injured adults, especially men. Some were attended to at the facility, and the rest who were severely injured were taken to the Ho Teaching Hospital. The dead children will be about 10.”

Officials at the Ho Teaching Hospital said that 32 people were admitted for injuries incurred, with 9 dying as a result of their injuries.

Amos Jah, the Public Relations Officer of Ho Teaching Hospital, said that the injured patients are receiving medical attention and making progress in their rehabilitation.

“I received a call from a friend yesterday who was going back to town and that he saw the accident, so I quickly informed the nurses to be on alert. Some were brought in with pickups, ambulance, tricycles; the situation was very bad, some had broken limbs, some heads almost being severed, some were bleeding from all parts of the body. After two hours, we were able to calm the situation down.”

“We had a total of 30 accident victims brought here. Two others were brought from the Municipal Hospital this morning, making it 32 in all. My information is that we lost 9 of them, 4 are kids and 5 are adults. For the kids, three were brought in dead. Those injured are responding to treatment.”

Continue Reading

General News

This was avoidable – Bonaa on fatal clashes in Nkwanta

Published

on

By

The Oti Regional Security Council (REGSEC) will host an emergency security meeting today, Wednesday, November 22, in response to the Nkwanta riots. Regional Minister Joshua Gmayenaam Makubu, appearing on the Ghana Tonight show on TV3 on Tuesday November 21, verified the number of dead and described the pandemonium as "ethnic clashes."

Dr Adam Bonaa, a security expert, has requested the Oti Regional Minister to restrict all public events in Nkwanta in response to the riots that have taken eight lives.

The fights, in his opinion, were avoidable.

“The Regional Minister and his men must make certain that this never happens again.” This was avoidable, yet 8 people died as a result,” he remarked on TV3’s Ghana Tonight on Tuesday, November 21.

He further suggested that “It is important to suspend all public activities that are likely to take place by the two factions, this is the surest way of letting them know that there is an authority within Nkwanta and the region.”

The Oti Regional Security Council (REGSEC) will host an emergency security meeting today, Wednesday, November 22, in response to the Nkwanta riots.

Regional Minister Joshua Gmayenaam Makubu, appearing on the Ghana Tonight show on TV3 on Tuesday, November 21, verified the number of dead and described the pandemonium as “ethnic clashes.”

“Tomorrow we are going to have an emergency security meeting again, ” he further said.

He also disclosed that there had been conflicts in town two weeks earlier between members of two tribes, Adele and Akyode.

Following the conflicts, the Minister of the Interior, Ambrose Dery, acted on the advice of the REGSEC and via Executive Instrument to impose a curfew on Nkwanta township.

The curfew will be in force from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 21.

On Tuesday, November 21, an attacker opened fire in the town’s central market area.

Several people have been murdered and others have been injured as a result of the incident.

The Oti Regional Security Council dispatched officers to the region to handle the situation.

interior 2

“Government wishes to appeal to all to exercise restraint and to use the established mechanisms for the resolution of all their conflicts and disputes.

“Meanwhile, the Government will like to reiterate that, there is a ban on all persons in Nkwanta Township and its environs from carrying arms, ammunition or any offensive weapons and any persons found with any arms or ammunition will be arrested and prosecuted,” the Minister said.

Continue Reading

General News

I never indicated my house was sold – Speaker of Parliament

Published

on

By

However, the Lands Commission claimed in a statement that "at no time did the Lands Commission sell the said property to a private developer." However, in a recent meeting with civil society organisations, the Speaker emphasised that his official house was on the verge of being turned over to a developer except for the intervention of the Lands Commission.

Alban Bagbin, the Speaker of Parliament, has categorically rejected selling his official house to a private developer.

He then stated that his home was “almost sold” to a private developer.

The Speaker of Parliament recently revealed that his Accra home was sold to a private developer while he was still living there.

He said this only came to light when the developer went to the Lands Commission to register the land on Monday at the Speaker’s Breakfast Forum in Accra.

However, the Lands Commission claimed in a statement that “at no time did the Lands Commission sell the said property to a private developer.”

In a recent meeting with civil society organisations, the Speaker emphasised that his official house was on the verge of being turned over to a developer except for the intervention of the Lands Commission.

“I didn’t say my residence was sold. That was not what I said. This was just a comment in passing when I said it was almost sold but luckily, I was in possession. And I said it was when they went to Lands Commission that they realised from the search that it was the residence of the Speaker,” Alban Bagbin clarified.

Continue Reading

Trending